"Thank heaven there is tomorrow. Because there is tomorrow, all our yesterdays have meaning and all our dreams have hope."

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter Promises

Last night for family night we went to visit Gavin and take down his Easter decorations.

As we were leaving the house Jack said, "Show Gavin monkey!"

So we let him take his monkey to "show Gavin." I watched Jack walk up to his brother's picture and show him his monkey.

Then I wonder - is this twisted or what?

Is it normal that my son thinks that a picture is really his brother?

I know this can't be normal.

Then it dawns on me, yet again, that this is our normal.

The rest of our lives Jack will look at the same pictures of Gavin that we have looked at so many times before.

There will never be any new pictures of him.

Jack and Owen will change - but Gavin will always remain a baby in a picture to them.

This past weekend we celebrated Easter.

Easter in our house has the fun of the Easter Bunny and the Easter Egg Hunts - but to us, Easter has a much deeper and personal meaning.

It is the day that our Savior was resurrected and given us all the opportunity to be reunited again.

It is a day that reminds us of promises and brings joy to a mother's heart.

In our home, Easter reminds me that someday I will see all three of my boys together.

Eternal and reunited.

And we won't just have to look at pictures any more.

3 comments:

Brittanie said...

I could have written this myself. I've always loved Easter, but its meaning to me deepened unfathomably when Cora died.

Because of Easter, there is hope.

((hugs))

T.Bailey said...

Oh Jack. You just made your Aunt Trish tear up. I'm so glad you remember your brother. And it is okay if right now Gavin is only a picture. Jack and Owen probably know their brother more than we can ever imagine :)

Malia said...

Ditto Trish. I think it says a lot for you as parents that Jack and Owen know their brother and include him in the things that are important to them (even if it is just a monkey). I agree that they probably know Gavin far more than we imagine. Love you, Bailey fam!!