"Thank heaven there is tomorrow. Because there is tomorrow, all our yesterdays have meaning and all our dreams have hope."

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Leaving Las Vegas

This picture is of Gavin's "big boy"bed in the NICU at Valley Hospital.
So, tomorrow morning Gavin will be taking his first airplane flight! After much work, prayer and effort . . . Gavin will be transferred to Primary Children's Medical Center (PCMC) in Salt Lake City, Utah. This has been a journey full of ups and downs. We tried UCLA, CHOC and Loma Linda Hospitals but they did not have any beds for him. It was such a disappointment. I really felt like we would never get help for him. It was discouraging as a mother to know that my son needs more help and I could not get him where he needed to be.


I am so grateful for the staff at Valley Hospital for working so diligently on Gavin's behalf. I am amazed at how much the nurses, doctors, respiratory therapists and other staff members love Gavin. I can honestly say that the people in the NICU at Valley Hospital are my friends. They cry when we are sad, and they are joyful when we have successes. I think they are sad to see Gavin go. . . but I know the NICU may be a little less dramatic now. :)


We have also made friends with many of the parents who have children in the NICU as well. Gavin has a little girlfriend - Samantha. Her bed has been next to Gavin's a majority of the time and we have become good friends with her parents. It's amazing the kinship you feel with people you normally wouldn't have that experience with. I told Samantha's mom that I was truly grateful to have amazing people like them to go through this experience with.


I am really sad to leave Las Vegas and spend who-knows-how-long in a different city, away from my home and away from Jason. I am so lucky to have my mom and that she can go with me. Jason will come up to SLC on the weekends and my mom will go back home when he comes up. This will be quite an experience. I feel like I am gearing up to run a marathon. I am scared of the diagnosis, or lack of one. I am scared to be in a new place with new people, but we are lucky to have so many family members there to be with us. This is a new chapter of Gavin's life, and I guess I am ready for it too. Look out PCMC . . . here we come!

1 comment:

T.Bailey said...

Jason, Lindsay and Gavin- Thank you for teaching me the importance of love and faith- also for the lesson on what is really important in life. These last 9 weeks have been hard on you, but I know that you are stronger because of them and that you will continue to fight. I've said this before but I can't say it enough- you are my heroes.
Much love-
Gavin's Aunt Trish