"Thank heaven there is tomorrow. Because there is tomorrow, all our yesterdays have meaning and all our dreams have hope."

Monday, October 22, 2007

Our Roller Coaster . . . aka . . . Our Life!



First of all . . . I just typed a huge entry about the events of the past week, and the Internet connection failed so I have to do this all over again. GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
One of the things that has been very evident over the past three months is that life is a roller coaster. There are many ups, and there are many downs. This past week has been a really good week for Gavin. Although we don't LOVE the answers we are getting, we are getting answers. I'm the kind of person who can deal with things better when I have information. That must be the control freak in me. . .
We had a family conference with Dr. Beachy this weekend (Jason was able to come up again) and she said that Gavin will show what he can do with time. Doesn't she understand that she if talking to the most impatient girl in the whole wide world?!? :) Actually, it's really okay. It has taught me that I don't have to be in control of everything. I guess a roller coaster ride wouldn't be all that great if you predicted everything. Gavin will show us his limits and successes. This weekend Jason pointed out that we will be thrilled with every milestone Gavin accomplishes. We know he will be delayed and there are some milestones he may not reach, but we have seen so much improvement over the past month or so. He is much more alert and attentive and he seems to know we are his parents. You should see the way his eyes light up and how much he kicks his little legs when he sees Jason. It's like he has been waiting for him all week. :)
There isn't too much in the way of new news about Gavin. The "down" part of the roller coaster this week is that Gavin has developed another lung infection. I guess this is something we are really going to have to watch for Gavin. A trach is an open airway to the lungs, and being in a children's hospital has brought it's fair share of germs. This has made him have a bad weekend as far as breathing goes, but as of tonight he looked much better. It seems the antibiotics are helping Gavin. The "up" side of the roller coaster this week is that we are talking about a back-transport to Las Vegas within the next few weeks. They will send us back to a hospital in Vegas to coordinate his last bit of care and his home health care. We are looking at 24 hour care at home for this little kido. Hopefully he won't need it too long, but it will be good to have as we get used to taking care of him at home It will be interesting.
As I was typing this I realized how factual I sound. It's not that I am negative, it's just at this point in the game facts are what we know. It's easier for me to get through this if I know exactly what I need to know. Unfortunately, Gavin is a mystery. I guess Heavenly Father is teaching me how to rely on him. He builds our roller coasters, but he never will give us more than what we can do. We have seen miracles, and I intend on asking for a few more. . .


2 comments:

T.Bailey said...

I have watched Lindsay and Jason very closely these last 12 weeks. They have grown in so many ways. They were amazing before and are even more so now. I can't think of a better home for Gavin. He is lucky . . . and so are they. I love you guys.

alli may said...

I wish I could do more to be a better support, fortunately I have my own roller coaster (i'm just on the sky ride at the amusement park-I realize, but it's time consuming anyway), and wish I could do more for you. I love you and think of you and Gavin all the time.