"Thank heaven there is tomorrow. Because there is tomorrow, all our yesterdays have meaning and all our dreams have hope."

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Day We Said Goodbye

I hope this isn't too morbid to post about Gavin's funeral . . . it's some level of closure for me. On Friday November 2, 2007 we had Gavin's memorial service. It was a wonderful experience and I was shocked at how many people attended. Who knew that a little three month old boy could have such an impact on so many people!? Jason and I gave Gavin's eulogy, we had a beautiful piano solo by Diann Stewart and Jason's father talked about the Plan of Salvation. The Bishop closed the services and explained why Jason and I were able to stand and share Gavin with others. . . it is because of our faith that we are an eternal family and that one day Gavin will be waiting for us when our time on earth is finished. My father dedicated the grave site and it was a beautiful yet difficult experience.

The past few days have been filled with ups and downs. Many times we are at peace and then one of us will break down and cry. We tried going to church on Sunday, but it was just too difficult. We left the church and went to see Gavin. Everyday I have gone on a walk over to the cemetery. It takes about an hour to walk there and back, but it's nice to see him. Even sitting next to him now brings a level of comfort. This is NOT an easy journey, however, Gavin's life was beautiful. He is still beautiful, as we remember the precious three months God granted us to be with Gavin.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I came across your blog through other Granger High alumni's blogs and wanted you to know how extremely sorry I am for your loss. I have read through all of your posts about your sweet little Gavin and my heart broke and my eyes filled with tears as I read all that you guys and little Gavin have gone through. I want to thank you for your testimony of eternal families. I don't know you personally, but your testimony has strengthened mine. Although Gavin's life was short, in the few minutes I've spent reading about him, he has deeply touched my life and I just want you to know that.

Sincerely,
Erin (Hinckley) Miller
Granger High Class of '97

Malia said...

Lindsay - seeing Gavin's coffin brought back a lot of memories for me. I instantly thought, "That's almost just like Ryan's," and all sorts of other things. There is something peaceful about being in the cemetery for me, as well. I thought about you on Sunday actually and wondered how church was...going back to church was so hard for Scott & I, too. Before we went back our Stake President visited and said, "Take it easy coming back to church." I thought that was strange coming from a Stake President but he was right. It's hard - especially on Sundays when babies are blessed. Hang in there with everything. You guys are amazing and Gavin is still inspiring us all.
Malia

alli may said...

this will hopefully be the hardest journey you'll have to take. I'm sorry about the hard days, my hope is that the hard days will get less hard as time goes by. love you!