"Thank heaven there is tomorrow. Because there is tomorrow, all our yesterdays have meaning and all our dreams have hope."

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Gavin's 1st Birthday Celebrations


Saturday July 26, 2008

We began Gavin's birthday celebrations with a dinner party and bug cupcake-cake. I just love how the night went. It was wonderful to be surrounded by family and feel Gavin's sweet spirit. We decorated for his 1st birthday with bugs - and I think it turned out so cute! It felt surreal celebrating Gavin's birthday without him here to blow out his candles - but it was wonderful to celebrate his sweet life.











Sunday July 27, 2008
We gathered with many family members and friends at the cemetery to release the 94 balloons that represented Gavin's 94 days with us. I woke up Sunday morning and then proceeded to count the minutes until 10:31am - the time Gavin was born. Being surrounded by so many loved ones really helped us get through this difficult day. I have to say, the cemetery was beautiful as we held the balloons around Gavin.



















































We sang Happy Birthday to Gavin and then released the balloons into the air. We watched them float right to heaven. I just imagined Gavin catching them and sharing them with his friends. (I know he must have a lot of friends . . . he is such a fun boy.) :)

























































































When we welcomed Gavin into our family last year, I did not imagine we would be celebrating his 1st birthday this way. To say we are heartbroken is the understatement of the century. However, the time we did have with Gavin will always be the most precious and sacred 94 days of my life. We are blessed to have an angel for a son and we were granted his presence for three months and one day. Celebrating his life is an honor. Mourning his absence is the difficult part. I just can't believe how much I love this little boy. I miss him.

Later that afternoon we took the birthday basket to Valley Hospital to be given to the first boy born on Gavin's birthday. I am amazed at the response we had from so many family and friends . . . the basket was overflowing. Thank you for your support!

Walking the halls of Valley Hospital made my feet tingle and my stomach turn. It seems like we were there in a dream, but, that dream is all too real. My greatest joy and greatest heartbreak occurred walking that hallway to see Gavin for the first time. I used to imagine the day we would walk down that hallway with Gavin in our arms to go home. That day never came for us. Those dreams didn't happen the way we thought they would - but we did have beautiful days. I may not have walked my son out of the hospital, but I was there as he entered into the presence of our Savior. I was a mom who was able to walk her son right to that doorway where we had to say goodbye. To some that may seem sad - to me it is a blessing and a privilege.




















So, happy birthday my sweet little Buggy Boy. You have parents who love you and we anxiously wait to see you again. That reunion will be beyond any joy we could have had here. We love you.

9 comments:

Debbie Freeman said...

You wrote that so beautifully and I am glad things went as well as they did. We wish we could have been there!! I love all the pictures!!

Murray Family said...

I happened upon your blog when I clicked on your link from a friends blog. I hope this isn't weird, and I know you don't know me. But I just had to let you know that I think you and your husband are so amazing.

Your little Gavin looked like a such a sweet boy and I can't imagine what you've gone through. I sit here in tears reading your blog; your faith is so remarkable. What a comfort it is to have the knowledge of eternal families.

Again, I'm sorry if this is kind of weird, given that we don't know each other. But I just had to let you know that Gavin has touched my life, even though I never knew him. The experiences you have shared have helped me keep perspective on what life is all about. I hug my kids a little tighter and I try to be more patient with them, knowing that life is unpredictable. You really have helped me become a better mother by reminding me what's most important in life.

Good luck in everything you do, and congratulations on the new little one!

Emily Murray
Pleasant Grove, UT

Rachel said...

I'm sorry I wasn't there, but I'm glad Evan was. (Both in the cemetery and hopefully in heaven!) He liked balloons too, and Maddie still loves to send any balloon she gets her hand on to heaven.

cassi said...

Lindsay,
What a beautiful way to celebrate Gavin's birthday! I loved the cute bug cake, the colorful balloons, all the support of your friends and family there that day, and the sweet basket you gave away. I'm truly inspired by you! Thanks for sharing Gavin's birthday on your blog.

-erika :) said...

You cake turned out so cute! You are much more creatve than I am. I'm glad the day went "well." we were thinking of you all.

Sharlynn Sanders said...

Such an awesome way to celebrate Gavin's 1st birthday. He is a fun kid and I am sure he has many friends! The cake was way cute, you did a great job.
Thanks for sharing your story and how you keep Gavin's memory alive through touching others here with his story.

Sharlynn

Aimee said...

Wow Lindsay! You and Jason both never cease to amaze me. What a special way to celebrate Gavin's 1st birthday. You are truly an inspiration and example of always serving and focusing "outside" of yourself. Thank you for sharing your memories with me!
Aimee

Randi Chatterton said...

I wish we could have been there! What a beautiful way to celebrate for Gav!!

alli may said...

you and J are so amazing. what a great day! the cake was so adorable... decorated like the super cute mom you are... and the basket that made someone's day and told Gavy's story. we love you so much and are so grateful to have you as family and gav as our angel... we are so sad that we missed it.