"Thank heaven there is tomorrow. Because there is tomorrow, all our yesterdays have meaning and all our dreams have hope."

Monday, July 14, 2008

Gavin's Birthday Gift

I love this picture. It was taken the day of Gavin's heart surgery and I think he looks like an angel with Daddy's comforting hands.
Needless to say, this time of year is difficult for our family. I can't help but reflect on every moment of this time last year. It actually makes my heart leap and my stomach turn at the same time to think about July 27, 2007 and the days leading up to it. That was a day that changed my life forever. This wasn't exactly how I thought this first year with Gavin would be, but we are so grateful for this sweet little addition to our family. I would do it all again for our little Bug.
As a first time mother, you prepare for everything. I remember making a list of all the things I would need to buy before Gavin was born. And, boy, were we prepared to bring a little boy home. I went crazy buying everything I was sure I would find useful. Using hind sight, I should have prepared more in other ways. Of course, there was no way to know Gavin would be so sick when he was born, but perhaps I should have spiritually prepared myself a little more. Perhaps I should have spent more time on my knees talking to my Heavenly Father or reading my scriptures. I should have spent more time pondering the true meaning of motherhood and eternal families. I should have had more knowledge of the Plan of Salvation and understanding the Lord's will . . . because, you know what? I never used the swing I had to have, or the Little Swimmer's diapers I rushed out to buy just in case we wanted to take him swimming. He never slept on his bedding or in the crib. I never even buckled him into his car seat or walked him in the stroller. I spent so much time doing what I thought was "preparing", when none of that REALLY mattered. I should have prepared myself in so many other ways. This experience has truly changed my perspective.
Still, it is a mother's instinct to buy a birthday present for her birthday boy. This time, we would like to do something for another little boy. (This idea was actually given to me by a friend.) We are making a basket of new born baby boy supplies/toys/clothes to take to Valley Hospital for the first little boy born on Gavin's birthday. We would like to invite anyone who wishes to participate. We are just purchasing small items, so it won't be anything too overboard. It just feels nice to know that Gavin's influence has changed our perspective so much on life and the important things.

4 comments:

Kevin and Natali McKee said...

He looks so peaceful in that picture. I have some things that I would like to give. Do you want me to drop them off at your house?

Anonymous said...

lindsay, hi! i am a friend of amber stewart's. i read your blog all the time and am always so encouraged when i do! i figured i might as well say hi since i have been reading your blog for months now. anyways, i would LOVE to send something for the birthday basket. i think it is such a cool idea. if you could send me your address that would be great! hopefully you don't think this is all too weird. my email is carpickering@hotmail.com, so you can email me your address if you want!:)
www.thepickeringfam.blogspot.com

cassi said...

Lindsay, I think that is the greatest idea! I would love to send something too. You can email me your address if you would like.

Scott, Amber, and Landon said...

You are so creative and thoughtful. That really is a great idea. I will try to bring something over before we leave for Wyoming. Also I have a letter for your little bug and something small I think we'll put on his gravestone. We should be back Sunday night but just in case I'll leave him his gift on his special little place. See ya soon