"Thank heaven there is tomorrow. Because there is tomorrow, all our yesterdays have meaning and all our dreams have hope."

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

An Update on Baby Bailey

We received a call from our Perinatologist the other night with results from my blood tests taken the last time we were in his office. Essentially, this particular test looks for my risk of having a child with Trisomy 13, 18 and 21 (Trisomy 21 is Down Syndrome). These are the most commonly seen syndromes in children at birth. Unfortunately, the test cannot tell us if the baby has these syndromes - it can only tell my risk of having a child with one of these syndromes.

Our risk of having a baby with one of these three syndromes is 1 in greater than 10,000. The doctor was VERY happy with the results - and so were we! Of course we know that Gavin did not have Trisomy 13, 18 or 21 . . . but having one child with a genetic abnormality usually increases your risk of having another child with a syndrome or chromosomal abnormality. In my mind, the result of this test just reaffirms that Gavin's syndrome was so unique and the genetic mutation was so rare that the chances of having another child with the same issues are minimal. Our little Gavin was just our Little Gavin - we were lucky to have him as long as we did.

We still have many more tests and ultrasounds and appointments for our new little one, but we are proceeding (ONCE AGAIN!) with cautious optimism.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Hi Lindsay, you don't know me but a friend of a friend told me about your blog. I have read your story and am truly amazed at the strength you have. You have seemed to stay so close to the gospel through difficult times and I really admire that. I just want you to know your blog has touched my life! Thank you! I don't want to be a stranger so here is my email: arlunt@gmail.com just in case. Congratulations on being pregnant!

Kajsa Farnsworth said...

Lindsay, that's great news! I know there will be other tests, etc. and that you will have legitimate concerns until the day you see your sweet little one, but I hope this test brings you a little bit of peace of mind.

I love your plan for Gavin's birthday and would LOVE to send a gift in his honor. Will you email me your address? kajsa_27@yahoo.com

Malia said...

I am SO glad that you have such good people caring for you and this baby! You need this and I'm glad they're watching everything so closely. These results are good!

Debbie Freeman said...

YAY!!!Congratulations on the good news!!

Lindsey F. said...

Lindsay, I know you don't know me, but I came across your blog a while ago. I read it often, and am constantly inspired by you and your sweet baby boy! I just want to send my congratulations to you on your pregnancy! I was so excited to read this news, and I agree...I think Gavin will be a great big brother! He's probably up there right now with your new little one telling him (or her) all about you and your husband!

Scott, Amber, and Landon said...

Horray for exciting news! I am dieing to find out what the two of you are having. I have my speculations but I'll keep them to myself and we'll see if I'm right. We miss hanging out with you guys. It's like our better half is missing! Anyways, congrats!!!!!!!!

Marcae said...

Yay! I'm so glad to hear that the testing went well. I know how never racking it can be waiting for results and such, but it gives such peace of mind. I hope you are felling well and enjoying your pregnancy.
Oh, what a great thing you are doing for Gavin's birthday!