"Thank heaven there is tomorrow. Because there is tomorrow, all our yesterdays have meaning and all our dreams have hope."

Thursday, April 3, 2008

I Know How You Feel (Kinda)

Last night my friend and I went to visit another friend of ours at the UMC Trauma Center after he had suffered a very serious head injury a few days prior. Our 26 year old friend had very extensive brain swelling and has had a few brain bleeds as well. The prognosis was not looking optimal when my friend convinced me that we needed to go show our support for him and his family. I have to admit, I was apprehensive about walking in to another hospital to see someone I care about lying in a bed suffering. We knew he was in a coma and was on a ventilator and I just didn't know if I could see that again.

As we drove to the hospital I kept asking the question "WHY?" We all know how many times I have asked that question, and I felt frustrated that Heavenly Father would let this wonderful guy have such a trial. And more than that . . . I felt I could relate to the sadness his parents were experiencing. I know what it feels like to be the parent hanging on to every single word a doctor says and not knowing the end outcome of your child. I know what it feels like to know that there really isn't anything you can do to help your son and that his life depends on the Lord's will.

I started to feel more of my self pity and despair as we approached the hospital and the area of town that I now know like the back of my hand. Then the thought came to me, "Stop thinking about yourself and help someone else." So, I did. I spoke with his mother for awhile and I could relate somewhat to the pain and anguish she was feeling. I felt I truly could empathize with her on some level. I have been that mom before. I have been the mom sitting at the hospital waiting for doctors, tests, surgeries and praying for any positive improvements of my son.

As I left the hospital and went home I thought of nothing but my friend and his family. Later that night when I crawled into bed I realized I hadn't felt self-pity since I had arrived at the hospital. Stepping outside of my own hurt to support someone else truly helped me. Sometimes I feel like I am so involved in myself and my situation that I ignore so much around me. Last night helped me see the bigger picture. We are here to help others and carry each others burdens. I know I may not have done much for this family . . . but they really have no idea how much they helped me last night.

No comments: