"Thank heaven there is tomorrow. Because there is tomorrow, all our yesterdays have meaning and all our dreams have hope."

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Pop Top Collection Continues


I can't believe the amazing "pop top" collection results! We are still collecting them, but I just wanted to post a picture of a few of the bags we are receiving from family and friends who are helping us support the Ronald McDonald House. I am sure that many of you know that my mom and I stayed at the Ronald McDonald House in Salt Lake City, UT while Gavin was being treated at Primary Children's Medical Center. However, I just wanted to reemphasize how amazing the Ronald McDonald House Organization is for families who have ill children. When we were trying to figure out the whole situation with transferring Gavin to PCMC we had a few obstacles in our way. Aside from the medical bills, we also had to think about finding a place to stay for an unknown amount of time. We checked into a few hotels around the hospital, but they would charge us about $1,000.00 a week to stay there. It just seemed like too much money when we didn't know how long we would be in SLC. Our amazing social worker here in Vegas at Valley Hospital called and checked into the Ronald McDonald House by PCMC. Like an answer to prayers, there was a room available for us and they only charged $10.00 a night - plus they tried to refund our money after Gavin passed away. (We didn't let them - they were so awesome to us.) To read more about our stay at the Ronald McDonald House you can link to http://lindsaybailey.blogspot.com/2007/09/our-new-home-away-from-home.html. This home provides parents with a place to go after long and difficult days at the hospital with their children and a place where they can talk to other parents going through similar trials with their children. Never in a million years would I have imagined that I would have need of such an organization. Never in a million years can I ever pay them back for the support, kindness and service that they provided to our little family during a most difficult and trying time. The one thing I feel like I can do is collect pop tops. The Ronald McDonald House collects the pop tops and can use the money at their House. Please, please, please save your pop tops. We have a jar in our kitchen that we drop them in - it's simple. I can't believe how much support we have already received from this effort. I have received bags and bags from family and friends. I would be more than happy to be the "drop off" for you so you don't have to make an extra trip to the House. Thank you for all you guys do! We love you!

2 comments:

Troy Farnsworth said...

I currently have a sister in Minnesota that is benefiting from the Ronald McDonald House. Thank you for your efforts in raising money. My sister has already commented that this is her new favorite charity. They live in Duluth but are staying in Minneapolis where my niece had surgery. They have a daughter (Erin) that just had a bone marrow transplant 10 days ago (she has severe aplastic anemia)and will be staying at the Ronald McDonald House while Erin recovers in the hospital. So far so good with the transplant (her brother was a perfect match and brave donor)...only time will tell if it took. Also, I don't always comment but I truly enjoy reading your posts. You are an inspiration and I admire you for the way you share your feelings and insight.

Kajsa Farnsworth said...

I am so glad you could stay there while you were in SLC and, as Troy mentioned, we are so glad his sister's family has a Ronald McDonald house to stay at too!

I am stealing your idea of dropping the tops into a jar on the counter. We drink SO MUCH soda so we might as well get started!