"Thank heaven there is tomorrow. Because there is tomorrow, all our yesterdays have meaning and all our dreams have hope."

Friday, March 21, 2008

An Answer to Prayers and A Window to My Fears

Perhaps you may think the title of this post is a contradiction or paradox. But this is the feeling in the Bailey house this week. We actually have some great news. This week I spoke with the geneticist again and my OB and they have all officially cleared us to have future children. I asked the geneticist the question, "Are you SURE?" about a million times and each time she said, "Lindsay, there is no reason to not get pregnant." Of course, as we have been told multiple times, there are no absolute guarantees in genetics but they all feel very confident that this was a one time situation. With the CHG array test that returned negative, they are pretty sure that Gavin's mutation must have been a single isolated occurrence that is too obscure to be detected. It was very exciting conversation and it is truly an answer to many, many prayers. This past week as Jason and I discussed the final word, I felt so much joy. Our future children will never replace Gavin - he will always have his momma wrapped around his finger. He will stay one of my constants throughout the rest of my earthly existence and will keep an extra special place in my heart. However, this being said, the thought of having another baby brings so much joy and so much worry. I feel like I can maybe, just maybe feel real joy again. Maybe I will get to be a mom like all of the other moms I see. It has been such an answer to prayers and we are so thrilled to have this news so quickly. We had been anticipating months if not a year of testing and wondering. We are so blessed to have had this process go swiftly.


Now to the second part of the title . . . my fears. While we are so happy to receive this news it does bring about a great amount of worry and anxiety. Since we don't know what Gavin's syndrome was, the doctors can't give us a number - meaning they can't say "you have a 1 in 100,000 chance" or "you have a 1 in 2 chance." This means our decision is going to be made solely on faith and hope. With all the excitement of thinking about a new baby, I also thought about how mentally exhausting the pregnancy will be. No test would have picked up Gavin's mutation. There was NOTHING we could have done to prevent or predict Gavin's problem. We didn't know until he was born that he had problems. So, in turn, we will worry until the day a baby is born. There will not be a moment that the thought won't be in our minds about the chance that this child may have issues comparable to Gavin. I worry I won't be able to enjoy this pregnancy the way I enjoyed Gavin's pregnancy. Things are just different now.


We are feeling such a mix of emotions. We are happy, excited, nervous and terrified. If we are able to get pregnant again it will once again be a roller coaster.

3 comments:

Tiffani said...

My heart aches for you. It will be so wonderful to have a healthy, happy baby but definately an excruciating 9 months of pregnancy leading up to it. My prayers will be with you that it goes quickly once you decide it is time.

Kelly said...

Lindsay,
I cried all the way though your blog, what Joy and fear you must be feeling. I am so happy for you guys to be able to have the chance to continue adding to your family. You were able to give Gavin life and the opportunity to be sealed to you and Jason and what a blessing it will be to give him a sibling. The Lord will bless you, You are truly the one of the most positive and loving people I have ever known and you and Jason will be blessed for that. My Favorite scripture during these times is D&C 35:8 Expect Miracles- "For I am God, and mine arm is not shortened, and I will show miracles, signs, and wonders unto all those who believe on my name."
Remember to Expect the Miracles that God has for us. Jordan is my miracle, Gavin is yours, and you will have more to come. I think of you often. Hang in there.
Kelly Jacks

Baldwin Fam said...

I'm so excited and anxious for you! We'll all be here for you no matter what happens, but my gut tells me just what yours tells you...Gavin was special, one of a kind.

P.S. Love Kelly's scripture! I'm going to have to write that one down. :)