"Thank heaven there is tomorrow. Because there is tomorrow, all our yesterdays have meaning and all our dreams have hope."

Monday, March 31, 2008

Two Little Words . . .

I have to vent about something. Something that I can say I am truly grateful for; but in the same breath I can say this drives me crazy as well. Health Insurance. Who knew these two little words could provoke such an emotional response in an individual?!

Working through the health insurance information for Gavin is well . . . a nightmare. We actually are VERY fortunate and have coverage by two insurance companies, but keeping things in order is overwhelming. My little multi-million dollar baby has left quite a mark in our family filing cabinet! I can't even begin to explain the paperwork we are still receiving for his medical treatment. My expando-folder can't expand any more!

The frustrating thing is that it's hard to move on financially (emotionally is a whole other topic) when you are waiting for the other shoe to drop. I have called both insurance companies multiple times asking about claims processed, claims denied and claims pending. I can't get a clear answer on what will or won't be covered. I feel like there will never be an end! It's hard to sit back and wait for the bills to come in. Will we have bills? Will we get lucky and have his costs covered mainly by insurance? Or (as I often worry) in one, two or three years will the final bills come rolling in? UGH . . . it's just the anxious part of me that wants to know the end of the insurance story. I know there are many of you who have had to deal with this as well. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

alli may said...

you just have to try to keep emotions out of it and continue calling them a million times until you get what you want. They are almost more stubborn than you... but you will win the fight...i know you will... good luck.

Debbie Freeman said...

You could write a book. You constantly amaze me, I am already impressed by how well you have kept on top of everything!! Maybe write a book and with the profits from that you can pay whatever the insurance companies don't? And in the mean time we will keep praying for you!!

Malia said...

Ugh Lindsay! I remember the battle with the insurance companies...and ours was considerably smaller than yours. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that on top of everything else. I don't really have any suggestions other than dealing with it only when you're feeling strong. The book idea is also a great idea...it would no doubt be a best seller.

Dezaree said...

My sister went through something similar with her baby when he was in the hospital. She just started receiving bills that she was told were taken care of. But they sent them through, the insurance took care of them after denying them the first time. Then her husband sent them back through a second time. Now, they have gone from owning 400,000 to around $80. That's pretty good if you ask me. So...I guess my suggestion is to keep sending back the claims and talking to who ever you can to get this taken care of for you guys. I guess I am naive in the fact that I thought that once they send you a bill....that's it. But apparently not. Never give up. :)

Cindy said...

My only suggestion is to STAY ON TOP OF IT! I get claims all the time for my kids that I am "supposidy" supposed to pay. So I call my insurance and...amazingly I was billed incorrectly and don't have to pay it. I absolutely hate it!!! That shouldn't be my responsibility to keep track of their job. And it shouldn't be yours either. Keep up the good work.

T.Bailey said...

Well, I too hate health insurance. Can't live without it but I don't have to love it? I tend to become "irate" on the phone when I don't get answers. Sometimes it works, other times it just leads to further frustration. don't give up Linz. You are doint all you can. And that is the important thing.