"Thank heaven there is tomorrow. Because there is tomorrow, all our yesterdays have meaning and all our dreams have hope."

Monday, May 12, 2008

A Mother's Day Escape

At the last moment we decided to go to the cabin for the weekend. Jason and I decided that being with family away from home would be much better than sitting at church for Mother's Day. We just didn't need to do that to ourselves this year. It just felt like too much to handle this time. So, we went with my parents and my brother Matt to the cabin this weekend and had a really great time. Here's a recap of the weekend. It all started with . . .



OUR FURRY INTRUDER


Friday night Jason and I were half way asleep when we heard my mom scream from her bedroom, "AHHHHH! THERE IS SOMETHING BIG IN MY BED! AND I THINK IT HAS FURRRRRRRRRR!" Jason claimed the manly responsibility of getting rid of "the big furry thing" in mom's bed. Luckily, we had watched an episode of Rob & Big on MTV that night where they find dead mice in their home so we new exactly how to handle the situation. :) So here is the scene: Mom is holding a big box over the bed ready to capture the creature, Jason's hands are wrapped in WalMart grocery bags and I am standing by the door ready to close them all in on a moments notice. Jason threw back the covers and this is what we found. . . . . . a dead chipmunk. We aren't quite sure how it got into mom and dad's bed, but we assume since there is construction work going on still at the house, a door was left open and Alvin found his way into the comforts of the Master Bedroom. Needless to say, we were a little freaked out and later Jason even admitted that he, "thought he would have had to wrestle the animal" as we were running down the stairs to investigate. HAHAHA! My funny Jason! We had quite a laugh after it was all over.


On Saturday we had lunch in Cedar City and rode 4-wheelers that evening. Here are a few pictures from our evening excursion with my brother Matt . . .


. . . and here is Jason giving his "I wrestled a chipmunk last night" face. . . . and Matt is all GQ on the 4-wheeler wearing dad's coat from the 1970's.

During our ride we saw a TON of deer. Sunday was a nice day. I was so happy to be with my mom. You all know how much I love her and how much she means to me. We had cinnamon rolls for breakfast (yum! my favorite!) and later that afternoon we had French Dip Sandwiches. It was nice to sit and watch Gavin's movie with my mom while Jason and Matt were out riding on the 4-wheelers. We had a good talk about what it means to be a mother, and once again I have come to the conclusion I have the best mom. We were meant to be together. Happy Mother's Day Momma!
Sunday when I woke up Jason had a gift for me. Inside a card I found this ring. I love being Gavin's Mommy. . . and that's all I need to say about my Mother's Day.
On the way home from Utah Jason, my mom and I stopped to see Gav. I needed to spend some time with my son on Mother's Day. I know I have talked about this often, but I think that Gavin was so selfless giving us time with him. I don't think he needed to stay here three months with us to fulfill his earthly responsibilities, but I think he chose to stay until we understood what needed to be. I have such a wise son, and I am a lucky momma.





4 comments:

Kajsa Farnsworth said...

Aaaahhh - this furry intruder is scaring me! I am glad you have a hubby who isn't afraid to wrestle scary critters and thank goodness I found someone else who watches Rob & Big!

It's so wonderful that you were able to spend Mother's day with your mom and to spend some time with Gavin too. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the ring Jason gave you. What a sweet and precious gift!

p.s. thank you SO MUCH for sending me that info and helping me find the right words for my friend!

Becca said...

wow that is the perfect present j! good job:) looks like you guys had a great mothers day!!

Malia said...

I would FREAK out if I found something like that in my bed! Jason is SO brave. Or is it that your mom is so brave to still sleep in the bed that critters also find so comfy?

The Gavin ring is very cool. That will be a treasure forever. I'm glad you got to spend time with those that mean the most to you this Mother's Day. You were in our thoughts. :)

alli may said...

i laughed so hard just thinking of jason doing any "cleaning up" of this sort... which I know he will never do without a major coat of armor on. I'm glad you had a good day... even though it may not've been the happiest mother's day.