"Thank heaven there is tomorrow. Because there is tomorrow, all our yesterdays have meaning and all our dreams have hope."

Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Privileged Mother

A friend of mine had mothers post on her blog. This is what I wrote:

My experience and privilege of being a mother has been much different than I ever anticipated. The word "mother" has a whole new meaning now - a whole new respect and reverence. Being a mother hasn’t gone the way I planned . . . but, isn’t that normal? I have a sweet baby boy who was with us for three short months on earth, but I feel so honored to be his mother for eternity. Even though motherhood hasn’t gone the way I planned, I feel privileged to be a mother.

A year ago I was a typical girl in the middle of a typical pregnancy with no problems or complications. My perspective of being a mother consisted of being prepared in every way possible. I had read every book, avoided all the things to be avoided and did everything I was told to do in "What to Expect When You Are Expecting." Two months before his due date Gavin’s room was painted, his clothes were washed and folded in the appropriate drawers, his bed was made, and the stroller was assembled. We were ready for our baby boy to come home.

Our sweet Gavin James Bailey was born four weeks early on July 27, 2007 due to a sudden lack of fetal movement. Shortly after Gavin’s birth a Nurse Practitioner came to tell us that Gavin had some odd features that were most likely related to a genetic abnormality or syndrome. I remember watching my husband fall to his knees and cry the most heart wrenching sob. This was not supposed to happen to us! This was NOT what I had signed up for when I decided to be a mother.

But when I saw my tiny little boy for the first time laying in a NICU bed, hooked up to machines, and listening to doctors talk about shortened life expectancy - I realized what it truly meant to be a mother. It was at that exact moment when my perspective on motherhood changed. I knew I was willing to do anything for my son. It didn’t matter how difficult life would be having a son with a trach , feeding tube and severe disabilities. We were willing to give up everything just to have our son. Nothing else mattered except my new little family.

Gavin was only with us for three months before he returned to our Heavenly Father, and that time with him was the most joyful and the most painful three months of my life. Gavin never left the NICU. He never came home to sleep in that bed made for him, ride in that stroller or wear many of those clothes. However, what he taught me was far more valuable than the experiences we may have missed out on having him here with us. He taught me what is means to unconditionally love and cherish the truly important things in life. He taught me how to be more Christlike. He taught me how to have empathy. And most importantly, he taught me how to submit to the will of our Heavenly Father. I often reflect how lucky I am to be Gavin’s mother.

Yes, motherhood is an endearing word. It means love, faith, patience, strength, kindness, sacrifice, happiness, and joy. Gavin taught me more than I ever could have taught him. Gavin has made me a happy momma and redefined my life.

7 comments:

jodie@eighteen25 said...

Lindsay,

I don't know you and I'm not sure how I found your blog but I'm so glad I did!

I am a blessed mom of two. I just wanted to tell you what a handsome little boy Gavin is. I laugh at your stories about his hair. When I gave birth to my son, he had some very "stylish" hair also...something we talk about a lot.

I'm sure before you had Gavin you always got a lot of un-asked-for-advice from a lot of people (like most soon to be moms do). I just wanted to tell you...through your stories about Gavin you have given me the best advice...the advice I hold close to my heart.

I hope you have a good day today. I think about your cute family a lot...I think about how little Gavin is telling your future children what a good mommy you are and how you would sing to him and talk to him...I'm sure you think about that too.

Happy Mother's Day!
from one mom to another

Sam and Lacey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam and Lacey said...

I hope you had a great mother's day! I thought of you today. Thanks for your post. I really enjoyed it. You are the best mom ever. I hope that you had the peace and comfort you needed today. I still read your blog often and you have helped me through my grieving process. Thank you!

Malia said...

Lindsay - you are everything a mother should be. As blessed as you are to have Gavin, he is blessed to have you. You're amazing. I hope this Mother's Day has been filled with peace.

Becca said...

you're the best mom our little Gav could have asked for:) happy mothers day sis!

Carrie said...

I thought about you yesterday. Thank you for being such a wonderful example of motherhood to me...love, patience, diligence, hardwork, faith and courage. Happy Mother's Day to one of the greatest mothers I know.

Kajsa Farnsworth said...

I thought of you yesterday also. I couldn't think of a better way to define motherhood than what you described in your post. You have quite a gift for putting into words feelings and ideas that can be difficult for many to communicate.

Thank you for having such empathy for others and for always providing such a good example for me as a mother.