"Thank heaven there is tomorrow. Because there is tomorrow, all our yesterdays have meaning and all our dreams have hope."

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Something To Think About

Last week my aunt sent a talk to me from a funeral she recently attended - this part made such a profound impact on me. I just wanted to share it . . .
We don't have life experiences so that we can simply endure them. We must endure them well so that those experiences do change us. That is the purpose of those experiences. If we don't change through them, then they are simply tragic. But if they do change us then they are what I like to call "difficult blessings." They are blessings that we would never wish for, that we would never wish upon anyone else. But if we are honest with ourselves we realize that the best attributes we have, our love, our compassion, our desire to serve, to do better, to be better couldn't have come about to the same degree without those experiences. And so, while we would gladly do away with the experience we would never trade what the experience has done to us. Unfortunately, we cannot have one without the other.
This is my experience I would NEVER trade. Even though it's difficult to be without Gavin, I still get to remember precious moments like this . . . and this HAS changed me.

3 comments:

AJ and Jessica said...

I really like what you said about life's challenges. It is hard to remember that they are designed especially for us. But then you look back and see how much you've grown and learned and strengthened and you gain courage to continue on.

Kajsa Farnsworth said...

This is such a difficult lesson to learn, but so true. I went to a counselor a few times while waiting for Brady's diagnosis and she asked me to "try something crazy." She asked me to entertain the thought that everything experience in our lives we have asked for. On some level, or in the pre-existence we asked for the experience because we knew we needed it in order to grow. I thought this woman was crazy but eventually I learned to re-frame what was going on and could understand this concept... okay, some days. Other days, I might struggle. It's still a work in progress for me!

Mandy said...

Thank you for this. I have been thinking about you a lot lately b/c I have been passing PCMC several times a day and decided to check out your blog. I needed a quote like this after the past two weeks I have had. You always have a wonderful perspective and say it so beautifully.

On another note-chipmunk in your mommas bed? Hilarious. I cant wait to get back to tennis and tease her about it. And I agree, you have a wonderful mother!