"Thank heaven there is tomorrow. Because there is tomorrow, all our yesterdays have meaning and all our dreams have hope."

Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Conversation With "R"

Yesterday I was at work when my cell phone rang. This was the conversation that followed:

Me: Hello?
R (a sweet five year old girl from church) : Hi! This is "R"!
Me: Hi "R" how are you?
R: What time are you going to be home tonight?
Me: About 7:00.
R (whispering to her mom): She'll be home at 7:00.
Me: Is that okay?
R: Yes, we want to bring you something.
Me: That's so nice "R"! Thank you! I'll see you tonight!
R: Okay. Bye. Oh, and I hope you have another baby really really soon!

"R's" last sentence really made me smile. Children are so sweet, and so are their moms who can see when I have a bad day. Last night "R's" mom brought this basket to us. She said that every month on Gavin's birthday they would buy something for us. There were books, candles, music and so many other sweet gifts. "R" said that the candy was from her, because candy makes you feel better. I was so overwhelmed as I opened the gifts. This is the true meaning of service. They had been collecting things over the past nine months, and when I had a difficult day, they were there with smiles. So, thank you so much for being so thoughtful. Your example of friendship and service is a blessing in our lives.

2 comments:

Malia said...

That is SO sweet...you guys are so easy to love!

Anonymous said...

We only wish there was more we could do. Your little family has changed our lives forever and we just feel so blessed to know you and get to share in the joy that Gavin and you as his parents have brought into this world. Your faith and honesty strengthen us in ways you will never know. You are all such huge examples to us and we just love you all.